Back at the end of December 2011, I listed 11 intentions for 2012
. It’s now the beginning of July (yikes, how did we get here??), and time to check in with how things are going.
Things that can be knocked off the list:
1. Run a trail race.
2. Backcountry hut ski trip.
3. Teach a regular, weekly sunrise yoga class.
! I’m teaching two weekly restorative yoga classes, too!
Three. Three intentions realized so far.
As for the things I still need to do…it’s a long list:
1. Run my first half marathon. I’m still registered for the Richmond Half (now the American Family Fitness Half Marathon), on November 10.
2. Half marathon finish in under 2 hours. Specific training doesn’t start until later this summer. But I’m building a base right now.
3. PR in the 5K distance. A work in progress…
4. Volunteer at the race expo of a major local race
. I was all ready to volunteer at the packet pickup for the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler in April, but then the opportunity to go on a hut ski trip came up, and I seized that opportunity. Then I was thinking I’d volunteer at the half Ironman just outside of DC in August, even though I think that triathletes are a special kind of crazy endurance athletes. The half Ironman got canceled, so who knows when/if I’ll volunteer this year.
5. Ski a line, look up and say, “Holy shitake mushrooms, I just ripped that!” This has so not happened yet. Maybe in December?? Although I rarely ski that early when I’m on the east coast.
6. Ski the Gulf of Slides on Mt. Washington
. This is life intention, really, not a 2012 intention. So I’m fine with it not happening this year (tends to be a spring thing).
7. Stay injury-free and healthy. In the grand scheme of things, I’m doing well here. But getting a cold during 3/4 of the training cycle for my first trail race was not ideal. And to be honest, this is a permanent intention, not just a 2012 one.
8. Sleep 8 hours a night. I’m so not good at this. Except the night before races and the night after them. This is another permanent intention, not a 2012-specific one.